Panchakarma detoxify the body, by administering a nasal cleanse, enema, purge or vomiting is derived from two Sanskrit words meaning five therapies. These are five elaborate treatment plans that help to detox the body effectively and deeply.
Before administering the detox, body is prepared using
different massage and steam therapies and herbs. After the cleanse, rejuvenating diet and lifestyle are recommended to boosts the detox results and rejuvenate the body.
It is derived from two Sanskrit words meaning five therapies. These are five elaborate treatment plans that help to detox the body effectively and deeply. Before administering the detox, body is prepared using different massage and steam therapies and herbs. After the cleanse, rejuvenating diet and lifestyle are recommended to boosts the detox results and rejuvenate the body.
Five Basic Shodanas: Cleansing Methods
- Vamana: therapeutic vomiting or emesis
- Virechan: purgation
- Basti: enema
- Nasya: elimination of toxins through the nose
- Rakta Moksha: detoxification of the blood
Vamanam (Emesis Therapy or vomiting): Vamanam is induced to eliminate Kapha, which causes the excess mucus. Congestion in the lungs causes repeated attacks of bronchitis, cold and cough. Vamanam is the best treatment for Kapha-related diseases, as well as chronic skin disease such as psoriasis. Once the mucus is released, the patient will feel instantly relieved. It is likely that congestion, wheezing and breathlessness will disappear and that the sinuses will become clear
After vamana, resting, fasting, smoking certain herbal cigarettes, and not suppressing natural urges (i.e., urination, defecation, gas, sneezing, coughing) is recommended. If vamana is administered properly, the person should feel relaxation in the lungs, will be able to breathe freely, will have lightness in the chest, clear thinking, a clear voice, a good appetite, and all symptoms of congestion disappear.
Virechanam (Purgation): The elimination of toxic matter from the intestines by administering therapeutic purgation or a therapeutic laxative, Virechanam is an especially effective cure in cases of jaundice and hemorrhoids.
Purgatives help relieve the excess pitta causing the bile disturbance in the body. In fact, purgatives can completely cure the problem of excess pitta. When purgatives are used, the patient should not eat foods that will aggravate the predominant humor or cause the three humors to become unbalanced.
- BASTI: Considered as the mother of all treatments, it cleanses the accumulated toxins from all the 3 doshas, Vata, Pitta and Kapha, especially Vata toxins, through the colon. Basti is also highly beneficial as a rejuvenating treatment, especially in convalescent periods. Medicated oil or ghee and an herbal decoction are given as an enema to clean the colon and increase the muscle tone. This procedure is usually applied for 8 to 30 days, based on the medical condition of a person. It has huge advantages and is powerful against diseases like piles, constipation and arthritis.
NASYA- People suffering from issues that target the head area, this Ayurvedic therapy is the best. It is a natural cleansing technique where the cerebral area gets freed from any kind of pain and nasal drops are regulated in the nostrils.
Administer nasya on an empty stomach an hour before or after a shower or exercise. Lie down with the head tilted back and put 5 drops of nasya in each nostril.
- RAKTAMOKSHAN: Lastly, this process is done for cleaning the blood. As we know that impure blood is a major cause of any diseases, so this therapy allows for the purification of the blood thus getting rid of health issues like psoriasis, pigmentation, dermatitis and many more.
This is how Panchakarma therapy is given to a patient step by step which delivers excellent effective results thus improving and enhancing the longevity of the human body.